Next round of road safety grants open

Community groups, schools and local councils will have a second chance to tackle Queensland’s road toll with the next round of the Community Road Safety Grants program now open.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson called on locals to put forward their innovative road safety ideas for a share of the $1.2 million in funding.

“We promised to revitalise front line services, but making our roads safer is a whole-of-community effort and it’s great that local Queensland groups have the chance to come forward with ideas to reduce the road toll,” Emerson said.

“Each group can apply for up to $25,000 in funding over the coming five weeks for local safety initiatives. We’re again inviting non-profit, school and local government groups to Join the Drive to Save Lives by delivering local road safety projects.

“Local ideas, adapted to local conditions, are critical to improving road safety and these grants let government, business and the community work together to target local road safety.”

The first round of the grants program last year received 76 applications – 41 were successful in sharing $815,000 of grant funding.

Mr Emerson said the program was one of 60 action items in the Newman Government’s $350 million, two-year Road Safety Action Plan, launched in mid-2013. “While we have seen a decrease in the road toll, there are still too many lives lost on our roads each year,” he said.

“All projects must be clearly focused on road safety initiatives, particularly focussing on driver distractions and road crash injury rehabilitation programs.”

Applications for funding close Monday, 10 March and more information is available at www.tmr.qld.gov.au/roadsafetygrants.

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend