ACT garbage strike called off

Canberra garbage truck drivers have called off a strike planned for yesterday and today (Friday) after being offered a new pay deal by employer SITA, according to the ABC.

The ABC said garbage collectors had been in a pay dispute with their employer, SITA, for nine months and planned to walk off the job for two days. Reportedly, drivers claimed they were working the same hours but earning about $100 less a week since SITA took over the waste collection contract for the ACT in October 2013.

SITA, however, made a new pay offer on Wednesday this week and drivers decided to cancel industrial action as a show of good faith, reported the ABC.

David Roberts from ACT No Waste said it has been a difficult changeover to the new contractor and he is pleased the dispute is close to an end. “That would be very pleasing because this is a 10-year contract and it sets the basis then for fairly standard enterprise agreement negotiations going forward for the next 10 years,” he told the ABC.

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend